sábado, 12 de marzo de 2016

Ready Player One

Title: Ready Player One
Author: Ernest Cline
Series/Trilogy: No
Pages: 374

Synopsis


In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the  OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

Personal Opinion


I had tried many times before reading this book but I couldn´t get into the story, this time I started and I liked the first pages but next pages were very slow and besides I had many things  going through my head that I couldn´t  focus on reading, but when I reached the second part things got better and I started to enjoy the book and I wanted to know more about the story, but in the beginning I was about to put it down.

Let´s see, in this book we have a world that it´s not far away from what we are living now: energy crisis, extreme poberty, pollution, etc. In fact, we are starting to see all this things already happening. There´s also this contest organized by James Halliday (The creator of Oasis) before he died and all the people wants to win the prize, like Wade. he is a boy who lost his parents and live with his aunt, she doesn´t love Wade, and just let him live with her because government give her extra food stamps; H, a character that although he doesn´t know Wade in the real life, is his best friend; Artemis, a famous gunter and admired by Wade and of course we have the antagonist, they are The Sixers, a company that wants to win the contest to take control of OASIS for their selfish purposes, for that reason, they are going to do everything they can to win this contest, even if they have to cheat.

OASIS is a virtual place where almost anything is possible, and where I have to say, I'd like to live haha there's a scene in the school where Wade tell us that in OASIS they can silence people haha It was very funny and I thought would be very useful sometimes..

There's a lot of references to 80's books, music, movies and video games and to be honest I didn't know much about it and that made me feel overwhelmed but I ended up used to it.

The first part of the book was a little predictable, but just a little because there were things I wasn't expecting, but I think that the best parts were part 2 & 3 because I didn't know what was going to happen, in that moment I did understand why people love the book.

There's an aspect that I liked about this book and that is, it made me think, in the story most of the people prefer to spend their time into OASIS, to avoid the hard reality they are condemned to live and that made me think that sometimes we take refuge in some things to avoid reality and problems we are going through; when the best thing we could do is go to solve the problem, It also made me think that it's not worthy enjoy something that is not real.

About the characters, although I didn't love them, I think they are real and well constructed characters. It was Wade the character in which I could perceive an evolution, because his thoughts in the ending are very different from the thoughts he had in the beginning. And of course, I hate Sixers, every time they cheated I got angry.

In this book there's a lot of action and I wasn't expecting that, I enjoyed that, actually that is the reason why I think the last 2 parts were the best because I did read them faster than the first one.

About the ending, I think it is a good one, a little predictable, but the way we get to that point it's simply cool and epic! details that I thought were unimportant made sense in the end.

I don't know what else can I say, it is a good book,  but I was afraid I thought I wouldn't like it because I read  similar book before and I didn't like it (The Eye of Minds by James Dashner) and that was stopping me to read it, but after all I enjoyed a lot the story, especially second and third part, so if you aren't sure to read this book. 


Rating

 

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario